Most of these recommendations are relevant to all areas of your life. Some of them are mostly relevant to the courses and disciplines we offer at Free Flow Academy. But even those specific Niche titles add a ton of value to the non-practitioner. This list is not ranked by importance or relevance. With that said, here we go:
1) Get an Audible account: Here's the thing, you'll be glad you did. It just makes sense to make use of dead time. Like when you are in the car, getting ready in the morning, taking a walk, ect. You have access to thousands of titles, in every genre available. Plus you have access to lectures! Want to experience 12 weeks of lectures in Neuroscience or Biochemistry from a renowned University? Cool! It will only cost you $14.95 a month. It just makes sense.
2) Listen to podcasts: So not exactly books. But they are conversations, that are up to date - no need to wait for publishing, hubs for knowledge and inspiration. Podcasts allow artists to discuss their ideas, as they are having them. If you want to be on the cutting edge of fresh new ideas and perspectives, podcasts are the way to keep up.
3) The Talent Code by Daniel Coyle. This book explains how people achieve great talent. It explores a variety of different cultures, and talent "hot spots" From Olympians, to musicians... this is a must read for anyone wanting to develop and master a craft of any kind.
4) Move Your DNA by Katy Bowman M.S. Movement nutrition is a principle introduced by biomechanist and author Katy Bowman. She explores the importance of giving your body the feedback it needs from a cellular level, she creates pain management solutions with simple straight forward approaches that every minimalist can appreciate.
5) The Gift of Fear By Gavin De Becker - Fear can be a gift or a curse. Learn to understand the difference. This is the gist of the book. The subject matter discusses survival signals to protect us from violence, but the underlying message can be applied to your own practical psychology.
6) Medical School for Everyone by Roy Benarock M.D. - This one is a no brainer. If you had the opportunity to go to medical school, why wouldn't you? This is a straight forward approach, in plain English, how doctor's investigate, treat, and diagnose illness and disease. As an athlete, as an artist, as a human being - your health should be a priority. And part of being proactive in your health is knowing how the system of health care works, as well as understanding the logic and science of health care providers. This course is available on Audible. Again, a great reason to sign up for Audible.
7) Smarter Faster Better by Charles Duhigg- Science and reporting serves to help the reader create powerful habits that will give you the tools you need to be more productive and efficient. Since Millenials are pretty much obsessed with being efficient, this is likely going to add a lot of value and effectiveness in your daily life.
8) Clinical Anatomy made Ridiculously Simple by Stephen Goldberg M.D. & Hugue Ouellett Studying human anatomy is a must for any athlete or artist. How can you optimize your abilities and your function, if you lack an understanding for the vessel that carries you through this life? Leonardo DaVinci is an example of an artist who understood the importance of knowing and understanding the human body. He created a large body of anatomical drawings. During the course of his work, Leonardo made many important discoveries, such as the first accurate depiction of the human spine.
9) Unleash the Power Within by Tony Robbins - Sculpt and create yourself. Take an honest look at your reality and feelings, and discover what you need to change that reality into the vision of your dreams. Tony Robbins is hands down an unstoppable catalyst for self awareness and accountability. He has a unique skill to create experiences that lead to breakthroughs for people wanting to grow, change, become more self aware, and take massive action towards their goals.
10) Khan Academy (khanacademy.org) - Struggling with ANY subject in school? Khan academy delivers simple explanatory videos on pretty much every subject you need to know. Athletes and Artists need to be able to function in all aspects of their lives, keep up with grades, and research topics to enhance their abilities or supplement learning projects.